• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Advice needed for first suppressor

WyoRanger

FALaholic #
So, I've decided to get my first suppressor. This one will be a titanium 7.62 rifle can, with the current contenders being the CGS Hyperion K and the Dead Air Nomad-Ti. Intended hosts are:
  • Savage 10FCM in .308 (old Scout model), 20" barrel, OD is .550" at the muzzle
  • Imbel FAL in .308, 21" barrel, with DSA adjustable gas plug
  • CZ Bren 805 in 5.56x45, 16.2" barrel, threaded 1/2"-28
  • Sig Sauer 556 Classic in 5.56x45, 16.5" barrel, threaded 1/2"-28
I want a can 7" or shorter & as light as possible, while still being hearing-safe for a few shots (up to 5 at a time). According to PEW Science, the Nomad-Ti is quieter, but the Hyperion K has incredibly low back pressure for the semi-autos. A big issue is mounting - because of the slim muzzle on the Savage, I want to thread it 1/2"-28 (can't do 5/8" or 9/16"). Also, I was thinking about cutting the FAL barrel back by 1/2" and threading it 1/2"-28 as well. This is no problem for the Nomad - I can use the Xeno adapter to save weight, or go with the KeyMo for a QD option, or even leave it direct-thread with a 1/2"-28 adapter - plenty of options. The Hyperion is trickier - their 1/2"-28 adapters add almost 1" of length and are not bored for .308.

I know that with titanium cans, durability is a consideration. Rest assured I won't be doing any mag dumps, bump fire, or FA stuff with this can. However, I do plan to use it for carbine courses such as Front Sight's 4-Day Practical Rifle or Thunder Ranch's Urban Rifle, which are primarily controlled pairs followed by at least 30-second pauses. In that vein, the Hyperion K seems to be more durable than the Nomad-Ti, but I don't know that it would matter.

Another consideration is adaptability - and the Nomad is the clear winner on this front. Any mounting option I want, separate 5.56 & 7.62-mm front caps, even the E-brake if I want. The Hyperion is direct-thread only, and the only option is vented or solid front caps. I asked if they would be coming out with 5.56-specific front caps, and the reply was "I doubt we'll be making any 5.56 front caps since they'd still need to be large enough to pass a 7.62 size projectile safely because people will accidentally put their 5.56 front cap on a 7.62 host and fire through it." WTF? Many silencer manufacturers make separate 5.56 & 7.62 front caps, and because they're removable, if you have a baffle strike you can replace the front cap! Also, just engrave it "5.56!"

I was not impressed with CGS's response to my questions. I asked about boring out their 1/2"-28 adapters, specifically mentioning the thin barrels on my Savage & FAL, and the response was "the barrels should be larger than .63" or so in diameter." I already mentioned the reply to my question about smaller-bore caps, that many other manufacturers provide. I asked about operability on semi-auto 5.56 rifles, and I got "You can use any of the CGS rifle silencers on 5.56 and the impact to host firearm operating system will be extremely minimal if you even notice at all." Uh, there is a massive back-pressure difference in testing between the Hyperion K, Helios, and Hyperion full-size suppressors - how can the impact of all of them be "extremely minimal?"

Cost is similar, but I have found the Hyperion K for about $100 less than the Nomad-Ti. Given the Nomad's advantages, I don't know if that's worth it, but the Hyperion should blow less toxic gas in my face, so there's that.

Does anyone have experience with either of these cans on semi-auto rifles? How would you proceed? Is there another suppressor out there that is under 7" long, under 11 ounces weight, and under $1000 that I should consider?

meltblown

Social Influencer for the Feds
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I would make sure they have an unconditional warranty. I have no experience with the ones you mention. I use a silencerco Omega. Not cheap but they have ASR connections for all the different threads with 3 prong flash hiders that you can slip it on to. 7" but 12.6 oz MSRP $1130 but possibly could find for $1K

frankxtc

FALaholic #
I use one of these on the 7.62x51 and the 5.56 rifles.
There are muzzle adapters for the different threads.
I just leave the muzzle adapter on each rifle, makes it easy.
I bought different collored end caps so I could easily tell if the 7.62 or 5.56 was installed.
Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 17.31.46.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 17.33.55.png

whisky_n_hot_dogs

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I'll throw out this as a consideration because two options is never enough
YHM N20 - Silencer Shop
It's light, you can make it shorter, compatible with ASR and Dead Air mounts
Comes with a 1/2-28 threaded mount.
I bought it to run on FAL and a Sub2k using ASR mount. Still waiting on tax stamp to clear since April.

WyoRanger

FALaholic #
From the testing data I've seen, both the Hyperion K and the Nomad-Ti are lighter, quieter, and have lower back pressure than the Omega. The YHM N20 is intriguing - I'd like to see comparisons of that one (or hear it in person). Hope your stamp clears soon, so you can give a range report!

ETA: Currently looks like about a 7-month clearance time, so hopefully by Thanksgiving for you...

The Chief

Farkën Snêekee Bastïtch
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I'm late to this party, but give the OSS Helix 7.62 Ti a look-see, especially if looking for low back pressure AND light weight

Earlofsquirrel

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I’m a big fan of YHM because of cost, durability, signature reduction, plus they have the best QD mounts in the business. I’ve shot the shit out of my M2 Phantom and it does the job.
100% agree. I’ve got 2 YHM cans, a resonator R2 and .45 sidewinder. The QD mounts are fantastic and available in 9/16”-24LH threads just for us. IMO they’re the best value in suppressors, just as quiet and well built as stuff twice the price. Zero issues with backpressure on my FALs over 18”. As you can see here, the 16” short gas has some backpressure but that’s due to the rifle design not the can.
23391A23-6D98-4AFD-ACD6-1B5799994E3A.png
I made some mods to the gas system that fixed that, if you’re interested here’s the link:

Ironhandjohn

FALaholic #
100% agree. I’ve got 2 YHM cans, a resonator R2 and .45 sidewinder. The QD mounts are fantastic and available in 9/16”-24LH threads just for us. IMO they’re the best value in suppressors, just as quiet and well built as stuff twice the price. Zero issues with backpressure on my FALs over 18”. As you can see here, the 16” short gas has some backpressure but that’s due to the rifle design not the can.
View attachment 159165
I made some mods to the gas system that fixed that, if you’re interested here’s the link:
Mine is a .223 M2 Phantom that’s seen thousands of rounds. I won’t shoot my AR without it.

Surly

FALaholic #
Get it in the standard 5/8x24 threads. If you go 1/2x28, you'll limit yourself on what you can put it on in the future AND there WILL BE something that comes along. These adapters work 100% and are cheap compared to buying another can. I run them on several of my bastardizations that I couldn't get threaded 5/8x24.

tac-40

Moderator, Armed Curmudgeon
Staff member
FALaholic #
I have a Griffin Armament can. Run it on everything from .223 to .300 WinMag. Change the .30 cal end plate to .22 cal for better performance. The latest model is the Paladin. Since you are staying in the 7.62 caliber range, you can get the mid-size configuration that shaves a couple ounces and inches from from the full size can. MSRP just over $1K, but you can find the under that by shopping around. It is a taper mount system that allows you to select which muzzle device you want for that rifle. I use mine on two hunting rifles in 6.5CM, AR-10 in 7.62X51, AR in 5.56. Each one has a very effective muzzle brake that lets me install the can in seconds.