• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

A Sig rifle is born..............UPDATED!!!!!! 03/26/2021!

FUUN063

FALaholic #
Just a quick update:

We took apart 5 kits and sent some parts off to be nitrided and some parts off to be black ox'd. We'll see how they each turn out. The receivers should be done in a few days and we'll have a look see at them, too. Man, there are a lot of small parts to one of these kits, that's for sure. Lots of "handling" time.

Leland
:fal:

Doolsmack_Bud

FALaholic #
Just a quick update:

We took apart 5 kits and sent some parts off to be nitrided and some parts off to be black ox'd. We'll see how they each turn out. The receivers should be done in a few days and we'll have a look see at them, too. Man, there are a lot of small parts to one of these kits, that's for sure. Lots of "handling" time.

Leland
I like where this is headed.

FUUN063

FALaholic #
No. All the camming acting is done in the front trunnion, cups and rollers. Those are original. We simply made a new receiver shell that duplicates the original shell and weld, then copper furnace braze the trunnions, etc. to the new shell. Plus, the nitriding very closely duplicates the original finish.

Leland

thisismyboomstick

Contributor
FALaholic #
To eject fired cases, the ejector sweeps across the face of the bolt and knocks the case out base first. See here:

https://www.falfiles.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3796083&postcount=11

The ejector is actuated by a raised section in the back half of the upper left corner of the receiver. Some have raised concerns that if the receiver isn’t hard enough that this raised section could see a lot of wear from the ejector. It seems like nitriding could help the receiver resist ejector wear.

Last edited:

Combloc

FALaholic #
It's gratifying to see that people are still getting use out of what I wrote years ago!

The geometry is such that I doubt you would ever wear out the camming surface in the receiver so long as its good steel.

FUUN063

FALaholic #
Well, I guess in my haste, I read your initial post incorrectly. I don't really have an answer yet, but will soon enough. And, yes, the nitriding adds a bit. That's some hard stuff.

ETA: Receiver shells are hardened. I have pics incoming, but they're not fully downloaded yet to show some nitriding. They turned out nice looking.

Leland

Last edited:

Wolfsburg1

FALaholic #
Simply gorgeous! Not that it matters but is the location of the serialling and manufacturing info finalized? Is this what a "production" receiver will look like?

FUUN063

FALaholic #
woof, other than some fine tuning and interior stuff, this is what a final receiver will look like nitrided. And, yes, it is some fine work, if I say so myself. Yes, this is where the serial number and info will be located. We had to have special stamping dies made for this location.

Leland

kroberts

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I've been following this thread since your first posts. Just wanted to add my name to the list of folks who admire your skills. It may be common knowledge here but I assume you are a gunsmith/machinist by trade? Just amazing stuff. I'd never be able to afford one of your rifles but I'll continue to watch your thread as long as you post updates...and maybe a video or two at some point.

FUUN063

FALaholic #
Well, kroberts, thank you. And, no, I'm not a gunsmith by trade, but have been doing this type of thing for a looonnnggg time. I started out, like many, tinkering with k98's and almost immediately SLR's/FAL's.

And, if you think you cannot afford a complete built rifle, then maybe you could get a kit (about the same price as a nice FAL kit) and a receiver shell (coming soon) and build your own rifle.

Leland

FUUN063

FALaholic #
We do have a few NOS barrels. Also, there will be new made barrels, but they are expensive to produce as they will be like the originals complete with the fluting cut in the chambers. This is not cheap. They are in the works, but that is a whole other project that demands a little time and a lot of money. Soon, though.

Leland