The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > General Information > Reviews - products, services, and sellers

Notices

Old April 19, 2005, 16:04   #1
DJ
Registered

FALaholic #: 126
Indian Ordinance MK1A from Dan's

Yesterday my son and I finally got to shoot my Indian MK1a "Hi-Power" that I got from Dan last fall. When I bought it it was completely coated in a slimy sticky oil. I field stripped it and washed it out in the parts washer at work. I used Rem oil to lube it. The trigger is rather gritty, but much better than it was. It felt like it had a pound of sand in there. I think it will wear in as I put some rounds out of it. The gun is finished in flat dark green park. We didn't have alot of time yesterday so we shot it at a piece of cardboard and my gong target. I was shooting some Fiocci USA 115 grain fmj ammo out of it. The magazines were a bear to load. At 50 feet, I put all 12 rounds from the first magazine into a group of about 4 inches off hand. I was rather surprised. I put a bunch more rounds into the same 4 inches. My one complaint with this gun is the safety. It's much much too small. I'm going to have to see if I can find someone to replace the stock one with a bigger one. The sights aren't too bad. It shot to point of aim at 50 feet, we didn't have time to do much more than put a couple of hundred rounds out of it. It functioned perfectly, not a hangup or bobble at all. We finished off that box of Fiocci then we went to some of my 115 gr fmj reloads. We were both beating the snot out of the gong. We found a piece of 4x4 about 6 inches long and proceded to roll it all over the strip job until Justin finally split it in two pieces with a bullet.
For 275 bucks out the door, I think I got a keeper. It should smooth up as we put more rounds out of it. Oh yeah....... the magazine disconnect is functional.
Old April 19, 2005, 17:22   #2
mrbonecrusher
Registered

FALaholic #: 6604
The trigger will get even better if the magazine safety is polished or removed. Cylinder & Slide has extended safety levers, check Brownell's or Midway. Sometimes the price is lower through them than direct from the supplier.
Old April 20, 2005, 12:41   #3
DJ
Registered

Thanks for the information Mr Crusher. I knew someone made an aftermarket safety for those.
Old April 20, 2005, 13:24   #4
Shrike
Registered

FALaholic #: 4611
I'm really interested in getting one of these, i have a few Qs.
1. What kind of importer markings do they have? I hope it isnt marked with a huge "Century Arms"
2. How many mags does it come with from Dan's?
3. Are all parts compatible with FN and Browning Hi Powers?

Thanks
Mike
Shrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2005, 12:55   #5
DJ
Registered

Shrike........It's marked PW Arms, Inc Redmond WA. on the right side of the frame just about the right grip. It came with 2 12 round magazines. As to parts, I don't know if its compatable with FN or Browning Hi-Power's. I'd like to find that out myself. For the money, I can't kick. It's a good gun. I'd recommend it to you.
Old April 22, 2005, 16:25   #6
qbeanie
Registered

FALaholic #: 9362
DJ,

Can you post or email a photo?
qbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2005, 21:26   #7
luvmyar
Registered

FALaholic #: 17318
I also recently acquired an Indian Ordinance Mk1A. This is a copy of the Inglis pattern Hi-Power, and therefore all things that will interchange between an Inglis and a Belgian will interchange between the IOF and a Belgian (or Argentine) model. In case you're wondering, there aren't that many.

Mine has a nice grey park job and aside from the aforementioned PW Guns laser mark and the Indian Ordinance markings on the left side of the frame, appears to be an exact copy of an Inglis HP, with the possible exception of the sights, which are a curious inverted pyramid front sight (a la Steyr) and a standard square notch, non-adjustable rear sight. The mag that accompanies the gun is a 13-round Inglis (non-drop free) type also made by IOF, but it will accept any standard Hi-Power mag. It also has a lanyard ring, which interestingly doesn't really get in the way.

I recently put mine through its paces, firing a little over 500 moderate FMJ ball and RNL handloads at a combat pistol class. It functioned very well except early on, it would not go completely into battery upon doing a mag change and using the slide release. As the class wore on, this problem went away - I attributed it to some roughness on the park job which eventually wore in. Also, regardless of the magazine used, the mags do not drop free. (I had removed the mag cutoff, so that wasn't the deal).

The sights shot a little low and left for me, but once I compensated the sight picture, the little pistol was extremely accurate. I shot second highest in the class with an overall score of 99% and of the other 12 folks in the class, was only outshot by my friend who was firing in the lane next to me, using a FN 9mm Hi-Power MkIII with all kinds of cool bells and whistles and a $300 higher price tag.

On mine, the trigger broke pretty clean at around 4-5 lbs with a distinct sear reset feel which I really enjoyed - it helps when doing a lot of rapid fire work. It has the standard rounded Hi-Power military hammer spur, similar to a Colt Commander. Some people complain that this causes a syndrome called 'Hi-power pinch', but I had no problem with mine...I guess it depends on how fleshy your hands are and how you grip your gun.

I agree with the assessment of the safety - the standard military configuration safety gets pretty punishing after 500+ rounds - my thumb was pretty raw for a couple of days. I plan on replacing mine.

But for the price, it's a great way to get into the wonderful world of Hi-Powers. It's a fully servicable, accurate piece and once broken in, ran like a top. I'm happy with mine!